Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a commission if you decide to buy or sign up through them, at no cost to you. Kindly read my disclaimer for more information.
Academic writing is a skill that all scholars should acquire. It focuses on disseminating scholarly information. There are different types of academic papers, which include assignments, term papers, theses, dissertations, essays, case studies, and question-answers, among others. Most academic papers are arranged in paragraphs, unless specified in the instructions. Each paragraph should have a topic sentence and a concluding one. This fact means that, in academic writing, a paragraph has at least three sentences. The work can also be arranged using sub-headings or in continuous prose. To write a good academic paper, select a precise title, include an introduction with a thesis statement, add body paragraphs/sections, end with a conclusion, and list references used in the work.
- Select a precise title. The title is an important part of an academic paper. It shows the reader what to expect in the content of the work. The title should not be very long and should be presented using the correct format.
- Include an introduction with a thesis statement. The introduction section or paragraph gives an opening to the work. It should begin with a topic sentence, followed by a brief background. The concluding sentence of the introduction is a thesis statement, which summarizes what the paper is about. Therefore, the reader should be able to know the content of the paper just by reading the thesis statement.
- Add body paragraphs/sections. The body section or paragraph(s) explain the content of the paper. This section should highlight each of the facts and issues presented in the thesis statement. Depending on the type of paper, the body can be subdivided using headings and subheadings, or in continuous prose using paragraphs. The body paragraphs should also have topic and concluding sentences. These two sentences should not be paraphrases, which means that they should not be cited. The middle sentences can be cited by acknowledging the source, depending on the format used in writing. Therefore, the body expounds on the items in the thesis statement.
- End with a conclusion. The end of an academic paper is called a conclusion. It also has a topic and concluding sentence. The conclusion summarizes the points raised in the entire paper. This fact means that new ideas should not be introduced in the conclusion section/paragraphs. The conclusion should also restate the thesis statement, but not word-for-word. This approach makes it easy for the reader to reaffirm what the paper was talking about.
- List references used in the paper. The references section is an important part of an academic paper. It acknowledges all the sources used in the work. There are a number of formats for presenting references. The most popular ones include APA, MLA, Harvard, and Chicago, among others. The format used in the in-text citations should also conform to the reference section. Therefore, the references play a significant role in academic writing.
Academic writing focuses on particular formats. The papers in this kind of writing should include a precise title, introduction, body, conclusion, and references. Each format has its own guidelines on presentation and referencing.
Order for a quality academic papers (any discipline) from JO&AL Marketplace.